Ma's maith leat síochaint, cairdeas, a's moladh....Eisc, faic, is fan balbh! (Translated means If you wish for peace, friendship and praise....Listen, look and be dumb!)- Irish Proverb

Thursday 6 November 2008

Completion

Ok so I know being single, never married in this day and age at 38 is something unusual in both sexes, particularly the male but it really isn't something that hugely bothers me. Sure I would like to settle down with a partner one day but as I don't see it happening for a good while as for the most part I am enjoying the single life.

One of my work colleagues, commented earlier that here she is "twenty five and left on the shelf". She followed it up with "I need a man to complete me".

I find it interesting that people seem to think that they need someone else to finish them. I have a different view. People add to me, but only I can make myself completely who I want to be. Our experiences with others make us who we are, but the presence of someone in our lives does not make us complete. Our friendships give us new experiences, our lovers give us a feeling that makes us feel good, hopefully even when it is over.

So what completes me? Good experiences, fun times, happy memories. These don't have to be with anyone, I have had plenty of good experiences that have been on my own. My research helps, my beliefs help, but what really completes me is me being happy with who I am as me.

0 comments: